work at playground
At playground, we live by the motto that work is love. We work on awesome projects with some of the coolest clients across many different industries, which means our work is almost never boring—and certainly never ordinary. We offer flexible hours and working locations, competitive pay and encourage time off and creative exploration to travel and engage with the world around us—which makes for better design. Interested in working with us? Please send your resume and portfolio (if applicable) to hello [at] playgroundagency.com and tell us why you are a great fit for our team.
The ideal candidate will be a hard-working, friendly and self-motivated individual with a passion for design and at least 1-2 years of related experience. Essential skills include the ability to use Rhino and AutoCAD to produce precise, detailed floor plans, sections, elevations and 3D models.
You must be a self-starter and be able to work independently, as well as collaborate with a team. In addition, you must know how to go into a residential or commercial space, measure accurately, take photos and create accurate floor plans and elevation drawings for clients. You must be able to create detailed, buildable shop drawings, as well as interact with fabricators and contractors, answering RFIs and attending related meetings as necessary.
Rendering ability (by hand or computer) is a major plus!
- Take measurements and create accurate floor plans and elevation drawings
- Drafting and modeling with AutoCAD and Rhino
- Preparing construction documents
- Creating shop drawings and coordinating fabrication/construction as needed
- Code and site analysis; analyzing zoning documents for pre-design
- Professionalism and clear communication
- Ability to work on multiple projects
- Degree in Architecture or Interior Design (or relevant equivalent experience)
- Must have a California Driver License and be legally authorized to work in the US
Pay is commensurate with experience.
To apply – please email your resume, portfolio and why you want to work at playground to email@example.com and include the subject line: Drafter/Designer. Be creative and show us why we should hire you!
Do you have a passion for organization, systems and scheduling and the desire to work in a creative environment? Than this may be the job for you! The ideal candidate has experience working as an assistant in a fast-paced environment and is able to handle anything thrown their way with a positive, can-do attitude. Ideally we are looking for someone who has worked in the design field in some capacity and understands the nuance of this particular type of business.
Organizational skills are a key requirement for this position. You must pay attention to detail and be able to handle scheduling, as well as production to complete administrative tasks and project. You need to be able to keep track of the client “to-do” list, keep the calendar up to date, follow-up with orders, keep invoices updated, and have an overall sense of what is going on in the office and what needs to be accomplished. You will work closely with the firm's principals for scheduling, administrative tasks and some design-related tasks as needed.
- Create mood boards, organize fabrics, follow up with vendors
- Preparation of budgets, estimates and purchase orders
- Assist with measurements for projects as needed
- Researching and shopping for fabrics, furniture, lighting, wall coverings, antiques, carpeting and accessories as requested
- Preparing, managing and maintaining all client presentation documents, project binders, files, correspondence, drawings, etc.
- Purchasing all furnishings and materials specified by the design team for the project; creating purchase orders
- Communicates and follows-up with vendors, clients, contractors, etc., throughout the design process to ensure that designs are implemented smoothly and effectively through final installation.
- Organizes, maintains and updates office catalog library and finish samples.
- General scheduling, organization and errands as needed
- Positive, can-do attitude is a must!
- Professionalism, clear communication and reliability
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks, projects and competing priorities gracefully.
- Must have a California Driver License, reliable transportation and be legally authorized to work in the US.
To apply – please email your resume and why you want to work at playground to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the subject line: Design Assistant. Be creative and show us why we should hire you!
Fall 2018 Design Internship
Are you an interior design or architecture student looking to gain some real world experience? Apply for our internship program! Our interns have the opportunity to learn on-the-job skills and apply what you've learned in school to actual design problems, while also learning how to work in a design firm.
To apply – please email your resume and portfolio to email@example.com and include the subject line: Fall Internship Application. In your application, please outline your areas of interest so we can ensure it is a good fit for the experience you are seeking, as well as any requirements for school credit. Please note, this is an unpaid position. We have many internship applications each year, so please be creative in sharing with us why you are a good fit for our team.
- Taking measurements, photos and creating accurate floor plans and measured drawings
- Creating 3D models
- Drafting floor plans and elevations
- Maintaining the sample library and pulling samples for projects
- Ability to exercise good judgement and develop creative design solutions
- Preparation of presentation materials
- Will assist design team in all phases of projects
- Working towards a degree in Architecture or Interior Design
- Proficiency in MAC OSX, Rhino and AutoCAD
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite
- Excellent communication skills
- Intelligent, quick learner, honest, reliable and hardworking
Three to four month term position, with the possibility of hire at the completion of the term for graduating seniors.